Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Portabellas in Place of Meat

My friend Leah has been taunting me (just kidding, my friend!) with her tales of grilled portabella mushrooms and veggies and serving them with goat cheese. I knew I had to try it for myself.

So tonight for dinner we made grilled portabella sandwiches. They were delicious and turned out just as I hoped they would. Here's what we did:

Grilled Portabellas with Veggies and Goat Cheese
2 portabella caps, stems removed
About 2 cups of sliced red, green and yellow bell peppers and red onion
Sun-dried tomato and basil goat cheese, about 2 oz. crumbled
2 hamburger buns
olive oil
pepper
salt
cooking spray

Brush olive oil over the portabellas and/or spray some cooking spray on them (we did this since we put them directly on the grill rack). Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Grill at low to medium heat for about 10 minutes or until desired doneness. Top with goat cheese and let the cheese melt a bit (it won't melt too much).

Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute peppers and onions coated with a bit of cooking spray for about 15 minutes over medium heat.

Toast buns for a few minutes in the oven. Top with portabella and veggie mixture. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar (we used our fancy pomegranate balsamic).



We served the sandwiches with homemade potato chips (made with potatoes from our CSA) and some leftover asparagus. This is how we made the potato chips. We've made the bleu cheese dipping sauce before. I liked it; Nate did not. We just had them plain this time, and that was fine with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment