Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Homemade Yogurt and Hummus

On Monday, we tried making yogurt from scratch and I revived my hummus-making skills.

We learned how to make yogurt at that Indian cooking class. It's a very easy process, it just takes a while for it to be ready to eat. You only need milk (we used the skim we already had) and already-made yogurt for the cultures to work.

Here is pretty much the recipe we used (warning: there is music!). For our first time, I think it turned out pretty well. It tastes just like plain yogurt usually does, but I think it's less bitter than the commercial stuff. A bit of milk burned on the bottom of the pan so there are some brown bits mixed in with the yogurt, but it tastes fine. I think this could be a new thing for us!
On the stove:
The finished product:
I also made hummus from scratch. I used to do it all the time, but stopped for some reason (even though I eat hummus almost every day for lunch). So, since we're on this make-it-from-scratch kick, I decided to try it again. Plus, we had some sun-dried tomatoes to use up.

I used the Betty Crocker recipe as my starting point and then added my own spin:
-1 can chickpeas, drained
-1/4 cup olive oil
-a couple cloves of garlic
-the juice of a half of a lemon
-2 tbs. tahini
-about 3 tbs. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
-1/2 teas. salt


Combine everything in a food processor. Puree until everything is mixed and smooth. I ended up drizzling a little more olive oil in while the processor was going. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I love the hummus idea! Where does one find tahini? Is it a sauce? Powder? I've seen it used in hummus but not sure what it is, exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can find tahini in many grocery stores. :) It's a think sauce/liquid type thing that comes in a jar. I recently got a jar at Outpost, but I've seen it at Sentry, Pick 'n Save, etc. It's so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete