Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Off the Top of My Head: Veggie & Bean Burritos

I was so pleased with tonight's meal, that I'm writing a post about it before I post about Monday night's dinner!

I feel I can really experiment and make it up as I go when cooking Mexican food. With other cuisines, I feel like I have to follow a recipe more closely. Maybe it has to do with the fact that growing up, I watched my dad make delicious Mexican food every couple of weeks--tacos, burritos and guacamole. I love making Mexican food the same way my dad does.

Tonight I made veggie and bean burritos. We've agreed to make a vegetarian meal at least once a week. I love making burritos and trying different filling. Tonight's burritos included onion, green and orange bell pepper, pinto and black beans and a lot of spices and seasoning. Below, is the recipe, more or less, of how it played out.
Veggie & Bean Burritos
1 tbs. butter or oil
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 can black beans, mostly drained
1 can pinto beans, mostly drained
1/4 cup or so salsa
shakes of different seasonings/spices (to taste): medium chili powder, garlic powder, garlic salt, black pepper, coriander, cumin, habanero spice, dried cilantro, cayenne pepper
Any kind of shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar plus a Mexican cheese mix)
Tortillas
Melt butter in large skillet. Add chopped peppers and onions. Cook on medium about 10 minutes, with cover on, until tender. Add beans, salsa and spices. Simmer, with cover on, for about 10 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, scoop whatever amount of filling you would like into a tortilla (we only had four, HUGE, tortillas. A couple more, smaller tortillas probably would have been a better idea). Top with shredded cheese. Tuck tortilla into a burrito shape. Repeat so remaining filling is divided evenly. Place in 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top each burrito with a bit of salsa and some cheese.
Bake 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Turn broiler on for another 5. I served my burritos with some avocado on top. YUM! We had some rice on the side (a tasty mix from Target--rice with cilantro and corn).








No comments:

Post a Comment