Monday, July 26, 2010

Sassy Shrimp and Summer Veggies

We got a ton of great vegetables in the last CSA box, and I knew I wanted to use them sooner than later. So we decided to do shrimp and veggie kabobs. Kabobs are kind of my go-to thing when I don't know what to do with veggies.

For the shrimp, we used this Sassy Seasoned Shrimp recipe, which a bunch of tweaks:
-Rather than 2 lbs. of shrimp, we just bought 3/4 lb. raw shrimp and halved just about the entire recipe (except for the juice--I forgot I was halving the recipe, and added all of the juice the recipe calls for).
-I didn't get fresh ginger, and just used about 1/2 teas. powedered ginger.
-Instead of green onions, I used up some of the yellow onion I had on hand.
-I couldn't find mango nectar (juice) at the local Pick 'n Save, so I bought papaya juice. It seemed to work just as well!
-For the chili-garlic sauce, I used Sriracha.
-We let everything set in the marinating bags for about 1.5 hours, rather than the recommended 2.


As for the veggies, I used zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant, all from the CSA. I used this simple Shrimp Kabob Recipe for the veggies. I followed the recipe exactly, figuring I probably had about 1 lb. of veggies. I marinated these for about 1.5 hours, too.



We put everything on wooden skewers we store in the freezer, and we grilled everything on low. First, we grilled the veggies, for about 20-25 minutes, and the shrimp for about 10-12 minutes.

In addition to the shrimp and veggies. we had some leftover black beans I had made earlier in the weekend. The black beans included red onions, red pepper, jalapeno, spices like cumin, coriander and garlic.



Everything was delicious and came together really well. I'd definitely make both marinades again.

2 comments:

  1. this just went on my list of "things to force nate to cook for me." it looks/sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIcole, I saw the story in the August issue of M Magazine about your blog and like what you have done. I would like to invite you to do a cooking demo in early 2011 at an event I help promote. I can explain more if you'd like to call me -- 414-354-0200 ext. 108. I look forward to talking to you.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete