- 1 1/2 avocados (reserve the other half for burritos)
- 2 tbs. red onion, chopped
- 1 tbs. prepared red salsa
- 1/4 teas. lemon juice
- 1 teas. mayonnaise
- 1/4 teas. each garlic powder, cumin, coriander and chili powder
- 1/8 teas. garlic salt, salt and pepper
Cut open avocado and remove pit. Scoop out fruit in a medium bowl and mash with a spoon, fork or potato masher. Add the rest of ingredients and mix well. It tastes better if it sits for a little bit (half hour to an hour) in or out of the fridge.
Pan-fried Tortilla Chips (serves 4)
- 4 small tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1/4 teas. each garlic powder, garlic salt and ground black pepper
- 1/8 teas. each salt and chili powder (both optional)
Stack the tortillas on a cutting board, and with a sharp knife, cut tortillas into 8 wedges, making a total of 32 wedges. In a small bowl, mix spices.
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray, and heat the skillet on medium-high heat. Place the tortillas on the hot skillet and coat with additional cooking spray, then flip tortillas a few times to coat. Sprinkle with spice mix, then flip the tortilla wedges a few times to coat with spice mix. Cook the tortillas on one side for 3-4 minutes (until the bottom is crispy) and then turn each tortilla over, using tongs. Let tortillas cook for another 3-4 minutes (until the chips are crispy and have browned edges). (It's best to cook the tortillas in one thing layer (not piled up) if possible.)
Let cool for 1-2 minutes and serve with guacamole.
Veggie and Bean Burritos (serves 4 (but they're huge!))
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup orange, red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 can black beans (reserve 1/4 cup liquid), rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/4 prepared red salsa plus more for burrito topping
- 1/2 teas. (or more or less to taste) each cumin, coriander, garlic powder and dried cilantro
- 1/2 teas. chili powder (optional)
- 1/4 teas. (or more or less to taste) each ground black pepper and garlic salt
- 1/4 teas. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 and 2/3 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese (or any other cheese or combination of cheeses)
- 4 large tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced (leftover from guacamole)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add chopped peppers and onions, and cook about 7 minutes, with cover on, until tender. Add beans, salsa and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer, with cover on, for 10 minutes.
Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Using a slotted spoon, scoop a 1/4 cup of bean mixture into a tortilla. Top with 1/3 cup shredded cheese. Tuck tortilla into burrito shape--fold in sides first, then top and bottom, making sure to keep sides tucked in tight. Repeat process with the three remaining tortillas. Spread a dollop of salsa on top of each burrito and use the remaining 1/3 cup shredded cheese on top of 4 burritos.
Bake for 15 minutes, then turn broiler on for another 5. Top with avocado slices.