Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chicken Sliders with Apricot Chutney


I had high hopes for these chicken sliders and apricot chutney spread from the June 2011 Cooking Light. The recipe sounded great--pulled chicken, sweet but tangy apricot chutney ... but alas, something went wrong and they weren't as good as I had hoped they would be.



I would do a few things different next time than what the recipe calls for, but we also made what I think might have been a few mistakes:



  • I don't think the apricots we had were ripe enough. The ones we got from Outpost were really pretty small, so I got 5 rather than 3. I thought that might help, but they were pretty tart--so that, along with the cider vinegar and Dijon mustard, made it too pucker-y.

  • Instead of grilled the chicken as the recipe suggests, we cooked the chicken the way we normally cook chicken when we're going to shred it--in a bit of water to keep it moist. Well, the chicken was moist all right, but it didn't have much flavor (I think the red and black pepper and salt probably washed away).

  • I didn't make the guacamole with it as the recipe suggests, only because the avocado I had wasn't quite ripe enough. I think this would have really helped the flavor.


If I were to make them again (and I'd try it, but with apricots I know are ripe and sweet), I'd cut down on the vinegar and mustard and definitely not cook them in water. We made ours into just regular sized sandwiches because we already had buns in the freezer.



We had some leftover chicken a few days later, and instead of using the chutney (and by then it had gone bad anyway), we reheated the chicken with barbecue sauce and cheese. Now THAT was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment