Monday, June 27, 2011

Campfire Cooking

Nate and I went camping with some friends this past weekend. We always split up the cooking duties--one couple takes breakfast and one of the dinners, while the other couple takes lunch and the other dinner. We were in charge of lunch (just sandwiches, chips and salsa, veggies and fruit) and Saturday's dinner. We cook everything right on the campfire grate, so anything we can wrap in heavy duty foil is a good idea.







I found this recipe for Pesto Chicken Packets in my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook. It looked super easy (easy to prep while sitting at a picnic table in the middle of the woods) and delicious, too. The recipe only requires four things: chicken, tomatoes, zucchini and basil (I made my own pesto).


The chicken was super tasty and, like I thought it would be, easy to make. It took about 20 minutes over a pretty hot fire to cook. I think each packet could have used a bit more pesto (the recipe says it makes four servings; I made six by adding more chicken and a bit more zucchini and tomato).



I think it's a great starter recipe--you could add more vegetables, different vegetables or even put a different sauce on top. We served ours with a rice, black bean and corn salad. It was a hit! (And for the record, Betty Crocker is/was not a real person :)).

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great recipe and just in time for my friends and I who are trying to plan our menu for our upcoming camping trip! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MKE Brunch: If you try it, let me know how it turns out! We've also made this Betty Crocker chicken packet meal over the campfire: http://m.bettycrocker.com/recipes/grilled-mediterranean-chicken-packs/8e70d4d8-4991-4143-9fd6-c32bbac39ed2?parent=%7B9881F26C-DBD5-4482-8ADA-95EF78E6D184%7D

    ReplyDelete