Sunday, May 8, 2011

Slow-Cooked Pork Carnitas for Tacos


After I determined I wanted to make homemade tortillas, I needed to figure out what to put inside of them. I'd been thinking about making carnitas for a while, so that's what we went with. I thought a crockpot recipe would be best, as I knew we'd be busy making everything else from scratch and wouldn't be able to devote much of the stove top, or our time, to making the carnitas.



I found this recipe for slow-cooked pork carnitas on Outpost General Manager Pam Mehnert's blog, A Year of Inconvenience (for an entire year, Pam made everything she cooked at home from scratch--pretty crazy AND awesome). I followed the recipe exactly, except for one thing: I substituted chipotle powder for the ancho chile powder, since I had some in the spice cupboard.


The carnitas were great and perfect for our tacos (it doesn't appear that I took a picture of the finished product. Oops!). This would also be a good filling for tamales (another thing we plan to make sooner than later). Nate also put some leftovers on a sandwich. I'd definitely make the recipe again. Next time, though, I think I would bake the pork for a few minutes after taking it out of the crockpot to get that crispness carnitas usually have.

No comments:

Post a Comment