Sunday, May 8, 2011

Salsa Verde




When we were at our cooking class in Zihuatanejo, Monica, the chef, told us salsa verde is very easy and quick to make. It only contains tomatillos (which stink before you cook them, by the way), onions and garlic.




So last weekend, for our big Mexican meal, I picked up some tomatillos at El Rey's when we stopped for supplies. I loosely followed this recipe from Simply Recipes. Here's what I used and did to make the salsa verde:


  • Six tomatillos, husks removed

  • 1 jalapeno (seeds and all), cut in chunks

  • about 2 Tbs. cilantro

  • 1/3 of an onion, cut in chunks

  • about 4 garlic cloves, cut in half

  • salt to taste

Place tomatillos in sauce pan, filled with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.



Put everything in a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.



You could just stop right there, but I simmered the salsa for about 10 minutes to kick up the flavor. I realized it needed some more salt as I kept tasting it. I think it's best to salt after you try it so it doesn't turn out to salty.


The salsa was really tasty with tortilla chips and on the tacos, and, like Monica said, really easy to make. We'll definitely be making this again. I'll probably make a bigger batch next time and freeze more of it for future use.


No comments:

Post a Comment