Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Dog Treats




I was all set to bring the three types of human baked goods to the bake sale, when I had the idea to make dog treats, too. I'd been wanting to make them for my dog, April, for a while now, so I figured this was a great time to do it.




A high school friend sent me a recipe she uses for her dog and said the recipe makes a whole bunch and dogs love them. I figured it was worth trying!




Dog Bone Recipe


  • 2 cups whole wheat flour

  • 1 cup flour

  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used just 2 cups cheddar)

  • 1/2 cup wheat germ

  • 2 Tbs. minced garlic

  • 3 eggs

  • 1 stick butter (I used unsalted)

  • 3/4 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix all ingredients together. Roll out the dough. Cut out using any shape cookie cutter or just cut in squares. Lay on greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.


They were very easy to make, but incredibly messy and there was no way I could have used a cookie cutter--the dough was way too sticky. I'm not sure if it's the type of molasses I used or what, but I ended up using quite a bit of extra flour. I ended up just cutting them in strips with a pizza cutter and then into small squares after I put them on the baking sheet.



I think they turned out all right, though. April sure loves them! And my friend was right--they definitely make a ton!

No comments:

Post a Comment