Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Vegetarian Thanksgiving

We had some leftovers from Thanksgiving at my parents' house--sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole--and needed a "main dish" to go with the sides. I intended to pick up some chicken breasts to have with it, but then I spotted a small Tofurky on super sale at Outpost. I've only had samples of it during Outpost's sample days, but I thought it was tasty, and Nate said he was game to try it.

The Tofurky was really easy to make. It was still frozen when I wanted to bake it, but I just needed to increase the cooking time. All you have to do is take it out of its wrapper, place it on a piece of foil on a pan, baste it with an olive oil, soy sauce and sage mixture, wrap it up and bake it for about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Then you take the foil off, baste it with the rest of the mixture and bake it another 20 minutes uncovered. That's it!

It was really pretty good--it's stuffed with a wild rice stuffing, making the "meat" more moist. I'm not sure Nate loved it (he's quite the carnivore) and was a bit thrown off by the texture, but he did say the taste was good.

I wasn't sure if it would be dry or not, so I made a super easy vegetarian gravy. Here's the recipe.


Instead of 1 cup of water, I used 1 cup of veggie broth, thinking it would give it more flavor. It was really pretty good. Next time I might try the water--it was pretty salty, and I think it would have been flavorful enough with the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment