Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Feasts

I've done a lot of eating and drinking this weekend! All good food and drinks, but I think my stomach needs a break after all the delicious, rich food! My family sure knows how to do it up when it comes to food, though.

Let's start with Christmas Eve. Nate and I had my parents over for dinner, and it's been a tradition of late to make it a Greek meal. So I make spinach pie (one of my favorites, as you may remember) and my parents brought salad fixings. For an appetizer, we picked up some pita bread and tzatziki from our favorite Greek grocery store, Olympia Fine Foods. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I could eat spinach pie every day!

The next day, on Christmas morning, we have two other traditions--we start the morning with some stollen. This year's stollen came from a bakery in New Glarus, WI, and had marzipan baked into it! The other tradition is that my dad makes huge omlettes with ham, cheese, green pepper and onion. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of breakfast--I forgot my camera at home.

But I have plenty of pictures of our feast later on. Another tradition is that we usually have Italian (lasagna and spaghetti and meatballs) for our Christmas dinner. We changed it up this year, though (per Grandma's request!) and my parents made prime rib. We decided on a supper club theme to round out the day, so the evening included rumaki for an appetizer; classic cocktails such as Old Fashioneds and Manhattens to start with, a mashed potato casserole with butter and cream cheese; a delicious and incredibly rich Brussels sprouts casserole with bacon, cream and cheese; a relish tray with black olives, pickles and a corn relish; and for dessert, some of the Christmas cookies I made earlier in the week and Brandy Alexander ice cream drinks.


Both were great, filling and rich meals. It was a great weekend of eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment