Monday, December 27, 2010

Personal Pita Pizzas

After the huge, rich meals we had had all weekend, Nate and I decided to take it kind of easy on Sunday night's meal. We thought pizza sounded good and with all the pita we had left over from Christmas Eve, we thought we'd make personal pita pizzas.

The pizzas were really easy to put together, and they took less than 15 to bake. Here's what we did:

Personal Pita Pizzas
-3 whole pitas (one for each of us and then one leftover)
-pre-made spaghetti sauce
-pre-made pesto sauce
-about 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
-about 1/3 cup green and red bell peppers, chopped
-1 small can sliced black olives
-fresh, small mozzarella balls, sliced
-feta cheese, crumbled
-1 Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled in a skillet (this was for Nate--I wanted a veggie pizza)



Combine spaghetti and pesto sauces to make a super tasty pizza sauce. Spread on pitas.
Layer rest of ingredients, dividing among the three pitas. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350-degree oven for about 8 minutes. Transfer pitas directly to oven rake and bake for 4 more minutes.
My pizza:
Nate's pizza:
Looking back at it, I think we should have baked the pizzas at a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time. I think that would have helped crispy the bottom a bit. But, nonetheless, these were really tasty. I think the pesto-red sauce had something to do with that.

2 comments:

  1. These are right up my alley! What kind of pita bread did you use? I often by the whole wheat kangaroo ones but they come in pockets, not the complete circles.

    Alysha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alysha! I'm not quite sure what the brand is, but we get them at the Greek grocery store near our house. I think they're the real, Greek deal. :) I can see the pocket kind being a bit more difficult. These are nice and thick, so they work well!

    ReplyDelete