Sunday, October 3, 2010

One of My Favorites

On Friday, Nate and I finally stayed in for dinner (it's been a while!) and decided to make one of our favorites (and my absolute favorite) black bean tostadas. I've blogged about it before (check it out here) but wanted to again profess my love for this Mexican dish.

I followed the recipe for the refried black beans just as I made it in April. They were delicious as always!

For the rice, we decided to make our own yellow rice. Unfortunately, it wasn't as tasty as the Vigo yellow Mexican rice usually is, but I think you could spice it up a lot of different ways. I also decided not to include the green onions (for whatever reason), and I think the onions really would have helped.

For an appetizer, I made guacamole (using the recipe I blogged about here). I also decided to make my own tortilla chips, using a big tortilla we've had in the fridge for quite some time. I cut the tortilla into strips and then took a large frying pan, sprayed it with cooking spray, laid down the tortillas, sprayed them with more cooking spray, and then sprinkled on garlic powder, Lawry's seasoning salt and pepper. I let them crisp on each side for about 5 minutes and when they browned, I decided they were done. They were pretty good, and great with the guac.

No comments:

Post a Comment