Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tres Leches Torta es Muy Deliciosa

I first discovered tres leches (three milks) cake at a great Milwaukee restaurant, La Merenda, about a year ago. Since then, I've had it a few more times. It's really a good cake, and it's very different from typical chocolate or yellow cakes.

For a recent girlfriend get-together, I decided to make my own tres leches from a recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, an old standby, Betty Crocker Cookbook.

This recipe is more or less what my cookbook says. There are a few differences: I made the yellow cake from scratch (also a Betty Crocker recipe) and, as my recipe calls for, I added rum (Barcardi Gold)--add a 1/3 cup when you mix the milks together and pour it over the cake (you can also use rum extract plus enough water to measure 1/3 cup, but what fun is that?).

Also, I made my frosting from scratch: In a chilled large bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream, 2 tbs. rum and 1/2 teas. vanilla extract with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Frost cake with whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans. Store covered in fridge.

I wish I had a photo to share, but this was eaten pretty fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment