Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fake Falafel

Falafel has to be one of my top 5 favorite foods. My two favorite places in Milwaukee for falafel are Aladdin at the Milwaukee Public Market and Casablanca.

Nate and I tried to make it once from a box of Fareast falafel mix. I had high hopes, but we pan fried it in too much oil so the patties were soggy.


This time, I found a Cooking Light recipe for baked falafel with a yogurt sauce. It turned out pretty well. The patties certainly didn't look like typical falafel patties or balls. But the flavor was pretty good. They reminded a bit more of a veggie burgers rather than typical falafel.




Here is the recipe from Cooking Light. I didn't make any adjustments to the recipe, other than for platting. We used some pita bread I got at a Greek grocery store. And we topped the sandwiches with shredded lettuce and some feta. We had to eat ours with a knife and fork. They were too top-heavy to roll up and eat!


We made one of my favorite side dishes with the sandwiches--homemade sweet potato fries.



The fries were a little bigger than I usually cut them, so they weren't as crispy. But they were still good! I mix them with olive oil, garlic powder, pepper and spicy curry powder, and bake them for 20-30 minutes (depending on how big they are) at about 375.

In the future, I think I'll try pan frying falafel patties again. And if it doesn't work, I'll stick with Aladdin and Casablanca. Sometimes (OK, often) fried is just that much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment