Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sweet & Spicy Nuts

For an appetizer for another recent get-together, I turned, once again, to one of my favorites: Betty Crocker Cookbook. I wanted to bring something that wasn't too heavy and filling and was easy for snacking.

I picked Southwestern Spiced Party Nuts. I really, really think they're tasty. And I like that you can make them as spicy or sweet as you want. Nate didn't seem to think they were quite as great as I kept saying they were, but then again, he's a little less vocal than me about food. :)

Southwestern Spiced Party Nuts

1 can (9.5 to 11.5 oz.) salted mixed nuts (I grabbed a 12-oz. can of Roundy's mixed nuts)
1 tbs. butter or margarine, melted (I've become a big fan of using real butter for recipes. Have you looked at what margarine is made of? It's pretty gross.)
2 teas. chili powder
1/2 teas. garlic powder
1/2 teas. onion powder
1/4 teas. ground cinnamon
1/4 teas. ground red pepper/cayenne
2 tbs. sugar

1. Heat oven to 300 degrees.

2. In medium bowl, mix nuts and butter until nuts are coated. In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients except sugar; sprinkle over nuts. Stir until nuts are completely coated. Spread in single layer in 15x10x1-inch pan.

3. Bake uncovered about 10 minutes or until nuts are roasted. Return to medium bowl.

4. While nuts are still hot, sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat. Serve warm, or cool completely about 1 hour. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 weeks.



1 comment:

  1. Trader Joe's makes a flavored variety of nuts which I've heard are awesome, but I've never tried...I think one is rosemary almonds...

    ReplyDelete