Monday, July 11, 2011

Restaurant Review: Jalapeno Loco


Nate's sister and a friend were in town last week and staying at a hotel near the airport. We wanted to meet up for dinner, and I figured this would be a great time to check out a place I've heard only good things about: Jalapeno Loco, right across the street from the airport. Over the years, I've heard many people say how good the food is and how authentic the dishes are. I knew I'd like it.



They of course started us off with some chips and salsa, which were both good. The salsa wasn't as spicy as I would have liked, but it was a good all-around salsa.



For entrees, Nate ordered something we made while we were in Mexico: chiles en nogada. It was really good, but it's hard to follow up when the last time you had it, you were in the local land! It was good though, and I'd order it next time we went. My only complaint was that the sauce wasn't as thick and creamy as it seems it should be.





For my entree, I ordered the Oaxacan mole in a chicken tamale, wrapped in banana leaves. The dish came with two huge tamales and a bowl of black beans. The tamale and mole was delicious. I would definitely want to go back and try one of their other moles. The black beans were just OK--now, I LOVE black beans, but these were pretty plain.




Overall, we had a good experience, and I'd go back. It probably wouldn't be my go-to Mexican restaurant, but I'm always willing to try new-to-me places.

1 comment:

  1. We ate here once. My fave go-to place for Mexican hands down is Botanas. Great service, atmosphere and food!

    ReplyDelete