Spinach, Mushroom and Green Onion Strata with Swiss Cheese
I originally thought of doing a quiche, then wanted to go with a lighter dish with a frittata. But then, remembering to the leftover Italian bread from Sciortino's bakery. So I settled on a strata, which is similar to a frittata, but on top of and soaked into bread. What's great about a strata is that you can pretty much put in it whatever you want and make it up as you go -- which is exactly what I did.
I apologize for my lack of exact measurements, but it'd be hard to screw up this dish, no matter what you do!
- Enough slices of French or Italian bread to cover the bottom of your baking dish (I used a 9x9 dish)
- about 2 cups packed spinach and arugula, chopped
- about 1.5 cups mushrooms, chopped
- bunch of green onions, sliced
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used 2% to make it a little creamier)