- If I would have bought the exact amount of shrimp and crab the recipe calls for, it would have been really expensive (it was fairly expensive as it was!). So I elected to use about 1.65 pounds of fresh, raw shrimp, and a 7.5 oz. (I think that was the size) can of crab meat, because I couldn't find fresh crab (other than crab legs) at Outpost. This turned out to be a perfect amount of seafood for the dish. The shrimp we had were huge, so we cut them into thirds.
- Instead of chicken broth, I used veggie broth.
- Instead of Creole seasoning, I used Cajun seasoning, just because I had some on hand and hadn't used it yet.
- I used 1 teas. of hot sauce (garlic Cholula) instead of 1/2 teas.
- We made brown rice with the dish.
The etouffee was really pretty easy to prep and make. The total time wasn't too bad--probably about half an hour--but for Nate to clean and devein the shrimp, it took quite a while.
The dish was awesome, and it was one of the meals that every few minutes I would remark "Man, this is good!" I can't wait to have the leftovers for dinner tomorrow.