Sunday, March 20, 2011

Crockpot Oatmeal

I came across this recipe for making oatmeal in the crockpot in a somewhat recent Outpost newsletter. I love oatmeal and eat a lot of it, but I usually stick to the same ol' bowl of oatmeal. I thought this might be a nice change of pace, and the thought of throwing everything in the crockpot Sunday night to have this ready for Monday's breakfast sounded great.

I followed the recipe exactly, except for one thing--I used raisins (since I had them) instead of dried cranberries or dates.


The oatmeal turned out well and the house smelled amazing in the morning. One thing Nate and I both agreed on, though, was that it really didn't taste like oatmeal--you couldn't quite taste the oatmeals and tasted more like raisins and apples than anything else.


If I made it again--and I probably will--I'd definitely use less brown sugar (I usually don't add any sugar to my oatmeal, just a bit of honey and raisins), because it was a little too sweet for me. I'd probably try a different type of dried fruit, too, because I have raisins quite a bit. I think you could do a lot of different things with this recipe to really make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment