Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Coconut Chicken Soup

I really, really love Thai flavors, so I was excited to try a crockpot recipe from one of my favorites, Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes.



I thought it turned out really well. We added a few things to make it spicy, but other than that, we stuck pretty close to the recipe. When I make it again, I think I'll sub another can of coconut milk for one of the cups of chicken broth. I'd love for the coconut flavor to be brought out more.


Thai-Style Coconut Chicken Soup
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 in. pieces
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups bias-sliced carrots (I didn't have the patience for this, so I just chopped!)
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbs. grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 1-in. pieces or 1 teas. finely shredded lemon peel (I opted for the lemon peel because it was easier to come by)
1/2 teas. crushed red pepper
1 15-oz. can (lite) unsweetened coconut milk
1 medium red, yellow and/or green pepper, cut into 1/2-in. pieces (I used about a cup's worth)
2 4-oz. cans button or straw mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts
(we added a jalapeno with the seeds plus many squirts of Sriracha sauce)

1. In slow cooker, combine chicken, broth, carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, lemon and crushed red pepper.
2. Cover; cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-3.5 hours. If necessary, skim off fat. Stir in coconut milk, pepper, mushrooms and cilantro into chicken mixture. Cover, let stand 5-10 minutes. Remove and discard lemongrass if using. Ladle into bowls, Sprinkle with peanuts.

We served the soup over leftover rice we had. It tastes good both with and without the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment